    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__
    On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 09:42:16AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > I've lost track of the number of times things have broken because of
    > incorrect use of kernel headers from userspace. That's what we're trying
    > to fix -- by putting only the bits which are _supposed_ to be visible
    > into files which userspace sees, where we know they define part of the
    > userspace API and hence we can be extremely careful when editing them.
    > I don't think it makes sense at this point for us to bury our collective
    > heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem here that's worth
    > fixing.
    > I agree that it should be obviously correct though -- and that's why
    > we're trying to end up with a structure that in the first pass would
    > give us in userspace essentially what we already have in the various
    > glibc-kernheaders packages, but without the constant and unnecessary
    > need for some poor sod to keep those up to date by hand.

    The concept of copying kernel headers into applications is even worse
    when arch portability is affected. I stopped counting how often I had
    to fix that kind of crap - and the state of kernel headers and userspace
    kernel header packages is really provoking that kind of mess.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.020 / U:122.608 seconds]