SubjectRe: What if?
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 05:34:08AM +0530, Imanpreet Singh Arora wrote:

> I realize most of the unhappiness lies with C++ compilers being
> slow. Also the fact that a lot of Hackers around here are a lot more
> familiar with C, rather than C++. However other than that what are the
> _implementation_ issues that you hackers might need to consider if it
> were to be implemented in C++.

The suckitude of C++ compilers is only part of the issues.

> My question is regarding how will kernel
> deal with C++ doing too much behind the back, Calling constructors,
> templates exceptions and other. What are the possible issues of such an
> approach while writing device drivers? What sort of modifications do
> you reckon might be needed if such a move were to be made?

The way the kernel will deal with C++ language being a complete
disaster (where something as simple as "a = b + c + d +e" could
involve a dozen or more memory allocations, implicit type conversions,
and overloaded operators) is to not use it. Think about the words of
wisdom from the movie Wargames: "The only way to win is not to play
the game".

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.771 / U:0.120 seconds]