    SubjectRe: What if?
    On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 05:34:08AM +0530, Imanpreet Singh Arora wrote:
    > I realize most of the unhappiness lies with C++ compilers being
    > slow. Also the fact that a lot of Hackers around here are a lot more
    > familiar with C, rather than C++. However other than that what are the
    > _implementation_ issues that you hackers might need to consider if it
    > were to be implemented in C++.

    The suckitude of C++ compilers is only part of the issues.

    > My question is regarding how will kernel
    > deal with C++ doing too much behind the back, Calling constructors,
    > templates exceptions and other. What are the possible issues of such an
    > approach while writing device drivers? What sort of modifications do
    > you reckon might be needed if such a move were to be made?

    The way the kernel will deal with C++ language being a complete
    disaster (where something as simple as "a = b + c + d +e" could
    involve a dozen or more memory allocations, implicit type conversions,
    and overloaded operators) is to not use it. Think about the words of
    wisdom from the movie Wargames: "The only way to win is not to play
    the game".

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:2.208 seconds]