    SubjectRe: Suspend 2 merge: 24/51: Keyboard and serial console hooks.
    On Thursday 25 November 2004 07:02, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:57:58PM -0800, Jan Rychter wrote:
    > > Obviously you have never actually tried to use software suspend in real
    > > life.
    > >
    > > I would kindly suggest that you try to use it on your laptop for at
    > > least several weeks in various circumstances. These features are a
    > > result of years of user experience.

    > I tend to buy laptops that just suspend when closing the lid, and no, I
    > had the strange desired to immediately reverse my choice. Neither do I want
    > to stop the shutdown that I just initiated.

    Perhaps many less fortunate "users" ;) (_including_ myself), can change their
    minds anytime and open the lid again.

    Thus, IMHO support for "changing ones mind" is imperative.

    As to reboot, we hardly use it:
    - Test partitions get reset with the yournal doing the dirty work.
    - The main partition gets rebooted only:
    - when some stupid app(s) leaked all memory away and we are out of swap
    ... sometimes weekly :-(
    - for (monthly) fsck.
    - when updating glibc twice a year or so

    Dependable and flexible software suspend is a way of life yet to be
    experienced by many.

    Offtopic, IMO a garbage collector is highly desirable...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:2.800 seconds]