    SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
        Hi Bill :)

    * Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> dixit:
    > > Or write a little program that just 'wait()'s for the specified
    > >PID's. That is perfectly portable IMHO. But I must admit that the
    > >preferred way should be killing the parent. 'init' will reap the
    > >children after that.
    > You can't wait() for the process, you have to use waitfor(), and the
    > last time I tried that it didn't work, although I don't remember the
    > symptom beyond that.

    You can't wait for other's children. OTOH, if we talk about your
    children, you can do wait() or waitpid() (I assume that you referred
    to waitpid(), since there isn't waitfor() AFAIK). The only difference
    is that wait suspends the process until information from a child is
    available.

    If you are talking about others' children, then your call to
    waitpid() (or wait()) failed with ECHILD: not your child.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

    --
    Linux Registered User 88736
    http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/