    SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
    Gene Heskett wrote:
    > On Thursday 04 November 2004 07:12, Jan Knutar wrote:
    >>On Thursday 04 November 2004 13:57, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >>>I'e had that turned on since forever Jan, but usually, when its
    >>>hung someplace, its well and truely hung, and hardware reset
    >>>button time.
    >>Are you saying that these zombies (or tasks stuck in state D) also
    >>make sysrq-T hang, and not list all tasks?
    > I thought I'd test it right now while the system is runnng normally,
    > but I got only a beep from the console, so I went to
    > Documentation/sysrq.txt to make sure I was doing it right, and it is
    > _not_ working right now. But it is compiled in according to a make
    > xconfig, or a grep of the .config.
    > [root@coyote linux-2.6.10-rc1-bk13]# grep SYSRQ .config
    > I get a couple of beeps from the console, but thats the limit of the
    > response, and a tail -f on the log shows nothing. I also logged into
    > VC2, and tried it there, but that attempt didn't even get me a beep,
    > several times.
    > The keyboard is a cheap ($24) M$ with a few extra buttons that don't
    > do anything along the top. And getting a bit creaky in its old age,
    > a lot like me, but I'm about 68 years older than the keyboard :)
    Don't need to log in, do need two hands to hit all the keys at once;-)
    It works for me on a VC and unhung system, but I agree, when the system
    is well and truly hung reset is the only thing left.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.021 / U:11.304 seconds]