    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
    Ingo Molnar wrote:

    >i have released the -V0.7.1 Real-Time Preemption patch, which can be
    >downloaded from:
    >
    > http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/
    >
    >this release is mainly a merge of -V0.6.9 to 2.6.10-rc2-mm2.
    >
    >I havent done a proper changelog for a couple of days so here is a list
    >of bigger changes since -V0.4:
    >
    > - implemented a first version of the priority inheritance handling and
    > priority inversion avoidance logic. This feature, after some initial
    > stability problems, solved the jackd and rtc_wakeup latencies that
    > were introduced by the ultra-finegrained locking in the -V series.
    >
    > (the -T/U series had a coarser locking scheme triggered much lower
    > levels of priority inversion scenarios. The locking in the -V series
    > was clearly the tipping point.)
    >
    > The new PI code covers all synchronization objects in Linux (on
    > PREEMPT_REALTIME): spinlocks, rwlocks, semaphores and rwsems.
    > Feedback on the design of this code would be welcome, and patches as
    > well, if you have a better scheme. The code is pretty modular so feel
    > free to experiment with alternative schemes.
    >
    > - completely reworked the debugging framework. All lock types
    > (spinlocks, rwlocks, semaphores and rwsems) are now tracked, both
    > their symbolic name and their place of acquire are traced and printed
    > out upon detection of a deadlock. More and better information is
    > printed upon a deadlock. Got rid of the 'semaphore owners array' in
    > debugging mode, this reduces the footprint of semaphores quite
    > significantly and speeds up deadlock detection.
    >
    > - got rid of the separate 'counted semaphores' implementation, it was
    > too intrusive. Made the core 'generic semaphores' implementation
    > compatible with vanilla Linux counted semaphore semantics. This also
    > enabled the unrolling of the completion-handling cleanups which,
    > while being very nice, were getting intrusive as well.
    >
    > - countless build and driver related reports/fixes from lots of people
    >
    > - more latency breaks in the remaining critical sections. A
    > particularly important one was the irqs-off latency bugfix from
    > Thomas Gleixner.
    >
    > - sped up the i8259 PIC and the PIT timer hardirq handling routines -
    > these are now in the path of the longest latency.
    >
    > - cleaned up IRQ and signal preemption - there were missed
    > check-rescheds and possibilities for IRQ recursion.
    >
    > - made ALSA's ioctl()s not use the BKL - this fixes more jackd
    > latencies.
    >
    >to create a -V0.7.1 tree from scratch, the patching order is:
    >
    > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.9.tar.bz2
    > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.10-rc1.bz2
    > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc1/2.6.10-rc1-mm2/2.6.10-rc1-mm2.bz2
    > http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/realtime-preempt-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
    >
    > Ingo
    >-

    Hey,
    I get a lock up with my wireless pcmcia cisco card. When i try to run to
    dhcpcd command or iwconfig it just hangs. Also when
    i insert my card at boot time it hangs when running the net init
    scripts. I had this with version V0.7.8 and V0.7.10, have tested any
    other RT patches, i didn't have this problem with VP-T3. Also i can now
    mount and use my reiser4 partition.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.030 / U:2.392 seconds]