SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
Ingo Molnar wrote:

>i have released the -V0.7.1 Real-Time Preemption patch, which can be
>downloaded from:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/
>
>this release is mainly a merge of -V0.6.9 to 2.6.10-rc2-mm2.
>
>I havent done a proper changelog for a couple of days so here is a list
>of bigger changes since -V0.4:
>
> - implemented a first version of the priority inheritance handling and
> priority inversion avoidance logic. This feature, after some initial
> stability problems, solved the jackd and rtc_wakeup latencies that
> were introduced by the ultra-finegrained locking in the -V series.
>
> (the -T/U series had a coarser locking scheme triggered much lower
> levels of priority inversion scenarios. The locking in the -V series
> was clearly the tipping point.)
>
> The new PI code covers all synchronization objects in Linux (on
> PREEMPT_REALTIME): spinlocks, rwlocks, semaphores and rwsems.
> Feedback on the design of this code would be welcome, and patches as
> well, if you have a better scheme. The code is pretty modular so feel
> free to experiment with alternative schemes.
>
> - completely reworked the debugging framework. All lock types
> (spinlocks, rwlocks, semaphores and rwsems) are now tracked, both
> their symbolic name and their place of acquire are traced and printed
> out upon detection of a deadlock. More and better information is
> printed upon a deadlock. Got rid of the 'semaphore owners array' in
> debugging mode, this reduces the footprint of semaphores quite
> significantly and speeds up deadlock detection.
>
> - got rid of the separate 'counted semaphores' implementation, it was
> too intrusive. Made the core 'generic semaphores' implementation
> compatible with vanilla Linux counted semaphore semantics. This also
> enabled the unrolling of the completion-handling cleanups which,
> while being very nice, were getting intrusive as well.
>
> - countless build and driver related reports/fixes from lots of people
>
> - more latency breaks in the remaining critical sections. A
> particularly important one was the irqs-off latency bugfix from
> Thomas Gleixner.
>
> - sped up the i8259 PIC and the PIT timer hardirq handling routines -
> these are now in the path of the longest latency.
>
> - cleaned up IRQ and signal preemption - there were missed
> check-rescheds and possibilities for IRQ recursion.
>
> - made ALSA's ioctl()s not use the BKL - this fixes more jackd
> latencies.
>
>to create a -V0.7.1 tree from scratch, the patching order is:
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.9.tar.bz2
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.10-rc1.bz2
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc1/2.6.10-rc1-mm2/2.6.10-rc1-mm2.bz2
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/realtime-preempt-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
>
> Ingo
>-

Hey,
I get a lock up with my wireless pcmcia cisco card. When i try to run to
dhcpcd command or iwconfig it just hangs. Also when
i insert my card at boot time it hangs when running the net init
scripts. I had this with version V0.7.8 and V0.7.10, have tested any
other RT patches, i didn't have this problem with VP-T3. Also i can now
mount and use my reiser4 partition.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.584 / U:1.108 seconds]