SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
    Hi Gene :)

* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> dixit:
> Possibly, but OTOH,
> [root@coyote root]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
> 0
>
> And no, I'm not turning it off anyplace in the boot proceedure. An
> 'echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq', and repeating the keypresses now
> gets a boatload of stuff in the logs, but nothing on the console.

Well, the stuff goes to the logs and not the console because of
the console log level. You can change that using proc, too. Look in
/proc/sys/kernel/printk (well, at least under 2.4.x). You'll see
four numbers. The first one is the console loglevel. Any message
directed to syslog with a priority higher than this number will be
printed in the console. Otherwise they won't.

The second number is the default message level. Any message
without a priority will get this priority.

The third number is the highest value you can assign to the first
number (the console loglevel).

The fourth number is the default value for the first number.

The interesting number for you is the first one. Set it to a
correct value for you (see syslog(2) to see what the numbers mean).

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/