SubjectRe: dmi_scan on x86_64
From

On 4/11/2004, Daniel Egger wrote:

> The sensors conf for the S2875 provided by Tyan only displays
> 3 FAN RPM values while the board has at least 4. At the moment I'm
> using 3 fans with tacho signal but can only determine 2 values, the
> third value is constantly 0.

The (admittedly limited) documentation [1] I have for the S2875 states
that only 3 of the 6 fan headers have their tachometer pin wired. This
matches the W83627HF hardware monitoring chip capabilities, which is why
I see no evidence of any kind of multiplexing on that board.

> Also the setup puzzles me a bit; why would Tyan pack several SMBus
> setups into a single motherboard but only connect devices to one
> of them. Actually sensors-detect claims that there is one
> unrecognized client on the "unused" SMBus.

Not all SMBus clients are hardware monitoring chips. The fact that
sensors-detect didn't recognize it would even suggest that your unknown
chip isn't. What you see may be about anything, including
pseudo-clients used for the SMBus protocol itself.

Feel free to submit a dump (using i2cdump) of that unknown chip if you
want me to comment on it.

As a side note, Tyan actually has a long history of embedding more than
one hardware monitoring chip in their high-end server boards. This makes
full sense when the board has plenty of fan headers and supports several
CPU. The S4882 for example has 6 hardware monitoring chips, and this is
one reason why the SMBus had to be multiplexed (4 of these chips use the
same address).

[1] ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2875_120.pdf

Jean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.080 / U:0.380 seconds]