    SubjectRe: dmi_scan on x86_64
    From

    On 4/11/2004, Daniel Egger wrote:

    > The sensors conf for the S2875 provided by Tyan only displays
    > 3 FAN RPM values while the board has at least 4. At the moment I'm
    > using 3 fans with tacho signal but can only determine 2 values, the
    > third value is constantly 0.

    The (admittedly limited) documentation [1] I have for the S2875 states
    that only 3 of the 6 fan headers have their tachometer pin wired. This
    matches the W83627HF hardware monitoring chip capabilities, which is why
    I see no evidence of any kind of multiplexing on that board.

    > Also the setup puzzles me a bit; why would Tyan pack several SMBus
    > setups into a single motherboard but only connect devices to one
    > of them. Actually sensors-detect claims that there is one
    > unrecognized client on the "unused" SMBus.

    Not all SMBus clients are hardware monitoring chips. The fact that
    sensors-detect didn't recognize it would even suggest that your unknown
    chip isn't. What you see may be about anything, including
    pseudo-clients used for the SMBus protocol itself.

    Feel free to submit a dump (using i2cdump) of that unknown chip if you
    want me to comment on it.

    As a side note, Tyan actually has a long history of embedding more than
    one hardware monitoring chip in their high-end server boards. This makes
    full sense when the board has plenty of fan headers and supports several
    CPU. The S4882 for example has 6 hardware monitoring chips, and this is
    one reason why the SMBus had to be multiplexed (4 of these chips use the
    same address).

    [1] ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2875_120.pdf

    Jean

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.039 / U:0.328 seconds]