    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__
    On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 14:25 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    >
    > > > (a) it can't break anything (ie the old location still includes the new
    > > > one, exactly the same way)
    > >
    > > You mean it can't break anything in a kernel build, or it can't break
    > > anything except for userland apps that abused kernel headers and used
    > > to get away with that?
    >
    > It can't break userland either.

    That depends on your definition of 'break'. It should prevent abuse.

    To pick a specific example, since you like them: where userland programs
    are including atomic.h, and hence writing programs which don't compile
    on some architectures, and which compile on others but silently give
    non-atomic results, it's perfectly acceptable and indeed advisable to
    prevent compilation across the board.

    Some people might call that breakage; I don't.

    --
    dwmw2