    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Mariusz Mazur wrote:

    > Facts:
    > - current __KERNEL__ stuff is crap;

    Fact: you're wrong. I _constantly_ get emails when something breaks. It
    doesn't happen all that often, but it happens.

    IOW, I _know_ from personal experience that people depend on it. No ifs,
    buts and maybes about it.

    > People in this thread are trying to force you to agree to a specific location
    > where stuff like the above mentioned mtd can go to and to start accepting
    > patches (afaik there were a number of patches trying to introduce that
    > userland dir - all of them ignored). That's (mostly) all.

    No. People in this thread have almost uniformly ignored my arguments.

    If it's MTD-specific, nobody _cares_ where it goes. Somebody take a
    fricking flying leap of faith here.

    If that's all that people want, I hereby proclaim that

    include/asm-xxx/user/xxxx.h
    include/user/xxxx.h

    is reserved for user-visible stuff. And now you can send me small and
    localized patches that fix a _particular_ gripe.

    But claiming that __KERNEL__ doesn't work is clearly a bunch of crapola.
    As is the notion that you can somehow do it all. We do it in small pieces.

    Happy now?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:2.259 / U:0.096 seconds]