SubjectRe: cdrecord dev=ATA cannont scanbus as non-root
>I tried scanning with dev=ATAPI, and cdrecord did not found anything.
>Then I tried in my home box, and it found the burner.
>The problem is that in the 'strange' box the burner is hdh, and the
>hard drive for system is hde. The previous IDE channels are unused
>(an on-board promise with ide[01], hd[abcd]).

IMO that should not worry cdrecord where the burner is.

>I use udev, so there is no hd[a-d] nodes on /dev. And cdrecord
>_EXITS_ as soon as it founds a non-existent device !!!

You can find something that does not exist?

>Many things will have to change with udev ;)

I have udev AND like /dev/hdh, even though I don't have an extra IDE
controller. Yay to static entries.
Try mknod'ding hda and so forth (instead of symlinking) and then scanbus the
thing. Does it show up?

Jan Engelhardt
--
ENOSPC