    SubjectRe: file as a directory
    Horst von Brand wrote:

    >Peter Foldiak <Peter.Foldiak@st-andrews.ac.uk> said:

    >>>Use a XML parsing library then.
    >>>

    >>But namespace unification is important,
    >>

    >Why? Directories are directories, files are files, file contents is file
    >contents. Mixing them up is a bad idea. Sure, you could build a filesystem
    >of sorts (perhaps more in the vein of persistent programming, or even data
    >base systems) where there simply is no distinction (because there are no
    >differences to show), but that is something different.

    This is kind of like explaining to people around the office that they
    could ever possibly need a disk drive of more than 10mb back in 1982 or
    so. I could not convince them then, Peter, you cannot convince this guy
    now, just spend the time coding it instead. Peter, you expect people to
    understand the value of features they have never used. Works for some
    of them. Only some of them.

    >> and to unify the namespace, you
    >>have to use the same syntax. I guess you disagree with me on that. (If
    >>not, how would you do it?)
    >>

    >I'd go one level up: Eliminate the distinctions that bother you, not try to
    >patch over them.

    Are you saying you'd rewrite xml to put separate objects in separate
    files?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:4.000 / U:0.140 seconds]