    SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
    On Wednesday 03 November 2004 16:15, Jim Nelson wrote:

    > I did this to myself a number of times when I was first learning Samba -
    > even an ls would become unkillable. You couldn't rmmod smb, since it was
    > in use, and you couldn't kill the process, since it was waiting on a
    > syscall. Ergh.

    I'm not going to pretend to be a kernel expert, or really anything other than
    a newbie when it comes to kernel internals, so please take this with the
    merits it deserves - many, or none, depending.

    Anyway, is there a way to simply signal a syscall that it is to be interrupted
    and forcibly cause the syscall to end? Kicking the program execution out of
    kernel space would be sufficient to "unstick" the process - and coupling that
    with an automatic KILL signal may not be a bad idea.

    I'm pretty sure that someone will think of a way why this wouldn't work with
    very little effort. Please enlighten me?

    Russell Miller - - Le Mars, IA
    Duskglow Consulting - Helping companies just like you to succeed for ~ 10 yrs. - 712-546-5886

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.021 / U:12.376 seconds]