    SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
    DervishD wrote:
    > Hi Gene :)
    > * Gene Heskett <> dixit:
    >>> Then the children are reparented to 'init' and 'init' gets rid
    >>>of them. That's the way UNIX behaves.
    >>Unforch, I've *never* had it work that way. Any dead process I've
    >>ever had while running linux has only been disposable by a reboot.
    > Well, you know, shit happens... Anyway, could you define 'dead'?
    > Because if you're talking about zombies whose parent dies, they're
    > killable easily: just wait until init reaps them (usually in less
    > than 5 minutes since they dead). If you are talking about zombies who
    > has their parent alive, then it's a bug in the application, not the
    > kernel. In fact I wouldn't like if the kernel reaps my children
    > before I do, just in case I want to do something.
    > If you're talking about unkillable processes (those stuck in
    > disk-sleep state), you're right: only rebooting can kill them
    > (although sometimes they go out of D state and die normally). Bad
    > luck for you if any dead process you've ever had while running linux
    > has been of this kind :(

    I did this to myself a number of times when I was first learning Samba - even an
    ls would become unkillable. You couldn't rmmod smb, since it was in use, and you
    couldn't kill the process, since it was waiting on a syscall. Ergh.

    > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.020 / U:193.660 seconds]