    SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
        Hi Gene :)

    * Gene Heskett <> dixit:
    > > Then the children are reparented to 'init' and 'init' gets rid
    > > of them. That's the way UNIX behaves.
    > Unforch, I've *never* had it work that way. Any dead process I've
    > ever had while running linux has only been disposable by a reboot.

    Well, you know, shit happens... Anyway, could you define 'dead'?
    Because if you're talking about zombies whose parent dies, they're
    killable easily: just wait until init reaps them (usually in less
    than 5 minutes since they dead). If you are talking about zombies who
    has their parent alive, then it's a bug in the application, not the
    kernel. In fact I wouldn't like if the kernel reaps my children
    before I do, just in case I want to do something.

    If you're talking about unkillable processes (those stuck in
    disk-sleep state), you're right: only rebooting can kill them
    (although sometimes they go out of D state and die normally). Bad
    luck for you if any dead process you've ever had while running linux
    has been of this kind :(

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

    Linux Registered User 88736 &

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:99.240 seconds]