SubjectRe: nanosleep interrupted by ignored signals
Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:06:27PM -0800, Matt Mackall wrote:

>>>This should have been resolved with the 2.6 changes, in particular, the
>>>restart code. What kernel are you using?
>>
>>Indeed it is. Forgot I still had 2.4 on the box in question, didn't
>>notice the restart bit when comparing the 2.6 code against the thread
>>above. Mea culpa.
>

> George,
>
> Is it worth/necessary to fix this bug in v2.4 ?
>
> Quoting yourself
>
> "This is an issue for debugging also (same ptrace...). The fix is to fix
> nano_sleep to match the standard which says it should only return on a
> signal if the signal is delivered to the program (i.e. not on internal
> "do nothing" signals). Signal in the kernel returns 1 if it calls the
> task and 0 otherwise, thus nano sleep might be changed as follows: "

Hmm, wise fellow, that :) We (MontaVista) have back ported this fix to our
kernels as part of the HRT patch, and, in fact, it is in the latest (albeit
somewhat out of date) HRT patch on sourceforge. The main issue is that it
requires changes in arch level code and so requires a cooperative effort (in
that most folks only have one or two archs to check it out on).

My take on this is that this has been in the kernel since nanosleep() was put in
and so, for a mature kernel, it is not really important to change it. Now if
you want to back port POSIX clocks and timers (i.e. clock_nanosleep()) I would
argue that you should back port this change as part of that effort.

--
George Anzinger george@mvista.com