    SubjectRe: Is controlling DVD speeds via SET_STREAMING supported?

    (don't trim the cc list, please!!)

    On Sun, Nov 28 2004, Pasi Savolainen wrote:

    > >> No this will definitively not solve this issue. I will try to check this
    > >> in the kernel, but because I'm not a kernel developer I will CC Jens
    > >> Axboe. Maybe he can help?
    > >
    > > Just fix the permission on the special file. Additionally, the program
    > > must open the device O_RDWR.
    >
    > (under 2.6.10-rc2-mm1)
    > I ran speed-1.0 program as root and also modified to open the device
    > file as O_RDWR. This didn't help, it still reports same error.

    Ehm I don't see how that is possible, since that kernel definitely
    contains SET_STREAMING as a write safe command. Are you 110% sure you
    are running the kernel you think you are?

    > Booted into 2.4.28, speed-1.0 didn't do the trick there either. 'sense'
    > reported was 00.00.00 though.

    Any dmesg errors from 2.4.28? The sense reporting might be a bit broken
    there, but if you don't set cgc->quiet it should report the error in the
    kernel ring buffer at least.

    --
    Jens Axboe