SubjectRe: Suspend 2 merge: 9/51: init/* changes.
Hi.

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 08:58, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Kernel interface is not supposed to be "easy". root= has exception,
> > > that's init code, and you can't easily ls -al /dev at that point. If
> > > you want easy interface, create userland program that looks up
> > > minor/major in /dev/ and uses them.
> >
> > That's a fair possibility, but is it really worth it when all we need to
> > do is make two routines not be init? We would still have to duplicate
> > some of this code elsewhere anyway, because we need to parse the major
> > and minor numbers.
>
> Parsing major/minor should be as simple as sscanf("%d %d"). And you'll
> have one less modification to generic code. Yes I think it is worth
> it.

In that case, we shouldn't access names at boot time either; the
interface should be consistent, shouldn't it? I really would prefer to
keep things as they are; is it worth all this fuss?

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.176 / U:0.540 seconds]