SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__
On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 16:54 +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Note that this doesn't take account of the other directories under
> > include/, but I don't think they're relevant.
>
> I think they may be. If they are, they can be accommodated. For example:
>
> include/user-scsi/ include/scsi/
> include/user-net/ include/net/
> include/user-rxrpc/ include/rxrpc/
>
> etcetera. This only creates a conflict if someone creates a directory
> foo that also clashes with asm-foo. And if someone does propose that,
> we just kill them. Easy.

Agreed.

> > (d) stdint types should be used where possible.
> >
> > [include/user-i386/termios.h]
> > struct winsize {
> > uint16_t ws_row;
> > uint16_t ws_col;
> > uint16_t ws_xpixel;
> > uint16_t ws_ypixel;
> > };
>
> I really hate stdint. Can't we use __u16 instead?

We're trying to clean all this crap up. I think we'd need a better
justification than 'I hate stdint' to use anything other than the
standard types which the language provides.

You'll get over it, I promise. I hated stdint too for a whole week or so
after I admitted it made sense to switch JFFS2 to it, because I actually
wanted it to be usable other than in the Linux kernel.

> This proposal doesn't address the asm-generic problem directly. Can I
> presume that you intend to also create linux/include/user-generic, install
> it as /usr/include/user-generic and create an asm-generic symlink that
> points to user-generic? A good problem file to be dealt with would
> be asm/errno.h

That makes sense.

> ppc might want to consider following the lead of parisc, s390 and mips
> and unify at least their header files, if not their arch directory.

That makes a certain amount of sense, although ppc64 currently lacks the
mess of platform-specific stuff that ppc32 has for various embedded
platforms. I suspect it would take a fair amount of work to produce a
single directory which everyone's happy with.

--
dwmw2