SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__
David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 21:01 +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
>>I'm not particularly stuck on the <user/> namespace. We could invent
>>and <asm/>? Obviously keeping linux/ and asm/ symlinks for backwards
>>compatibility.
>

> There's no _real_ need to keep them. All we need to fix is a handful of
> libc implementations; anything else using them was broken anyway.

<rant mode>

Cute idea. So any new definition which is supposed to be used in
userspace will take at least a year to propagate - well, I know, one can
always look for the definition in the kernel headers, copy it, ...
Now this is no solution.

And how do you want to deal with the fact that up to now all the
netfilter headers required for userspace programming live in the kernel
include tree? Now this has been like this for quite some years. Shall
one no longer use netfilter?

It is easy to be happy with the status quo and to reject any attempt to
change things for the better. If you really wanted to fix (g)libc you
would have taken action long ago. You're around for long enough.

</rant mode>
--
Andreas Steinmetz SPAMmers use robotrap@domdv.de