    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__
    On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 03:13:12PM +0000, David Howells wrote:
    > (2) Take each file from the shadowed directory. If it has any userspace
    > relevant stuff, then:
    >
    > (b) Make kernel file #include the user file. So:
    >
    > [include/asm-i386/unistd.h]
    > #include <user-i386/unistd.h>

    We may also want a user-asm symlink pointing to user-$ARCH.
    If <linux/foo.h> wants a definition from <user-$ARCH/foo.h> then it has
    to include <asm/foo.h> which includes <user-$ARCH/foo.h>. If asm/foo.h
    is empty other than the include, then it'd be nice to delete it and have
    <linux/foo.h> include <user-asm/foo.h> directly.

    > (c) Where a user header file requires something from another header file
    > (such as a type), that file should include a suitable user header file
    > directly:
    >
    > [include/user-i386/termio.h]
    > #include <user/types.h>

    It's occasionally been on my mind that the transition from linux -> asm
    should be one way and that asm files should not include linux files.
    I'm not sure this is necessarily a worthy goal, but it seems worth
    mentioning.