    SubjectRe: performance of filesystem xattrs with Samba4
    From
    Andrew,

    You can call off your bsearch - I found the culprit.

    For the 2.6.10-rc2 tests I was running with the patch from Andreas
    that added large ext3 inode support (in order to also test the
    ext3-256 case). For the -mm2 test I wasn't.

    This patch was supposed to have no effect if large inodes were not
    setup at mkfs time. Unfortunately it does have an affect as it also
    removes the in-place xattr modification logic from
    ext3_xattr_set_handle(), so every xattr set becomes the same as a
    delete+create pair. In plain -rc2 and in -mm2 an xattr set of the same
    size will be done in-place. As every xattr set is of the same size in
    dbench3 this made a huge difference.

    Sorry for the false alarm.

    Cheers, Tridge

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.023 / U:0.284 seconds]