    SubjectRe: file as a directory
    On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 15:02, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
    > On 24 Nov 2004 09:16:03 +0000, Peter Foldiak
    > <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > I would really like to implement this for the next version of Hans' file
    > > system.
    > I don't undersand how you want to use Xpath for not XML file.
    > I agree with you that the idea behind Xpath is cool but I fail to
    > unserstand how it can be applied to anything but XML

    My message was mainly about XML, for which it is easy.
    For non-XML, you need some other way of knowing the file format. The
    example that originally came up in this thread was

    In this case, the passwd file has a known format.
    Other file types, like LaTex, html, jpeg also have (at least partially)
    known formats. Some selection should be possible even for unknown
    formats (e.g. byte range, line-range). There could also be some way of
    specifying a new format but I don't know how to do this well. You could
    give names (like filenames) to parts of files.
    But I think the first step would be to concentrate on XML, and worry
    about the rest later. Peter

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.024 / U:21.484 seconds]