    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm1-V0.7.28-1
    On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 10:54 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Christian Meder <> wrote:
    > > This just leaves me with the mysterious traceless jvm related crash.
    > > I'll do my best to get a trace ;-)
    > it would be equally useful to somehow reproduce the lockup with public
    > software only, and post the precise steps how to reproduce it.

    Hi Ingo,

    after two evenings of experimenting this is the current status
    (everything based on 0.7.29-0, will try 0.7.30-x during the day):

    * the lockup can't be triggered from the console or using a remote
    session and I really tried to torture the box ;-)
    * the real trigger is mouse activity in X
    * the other important factor is running the jvm in profiling mode,
    running without jvm or with the jvm in non-profiling mode leaves the box
    * I couldn't yet figure out the pattern of java program which is
    triggering. Not every java program is triggering but at least I found
    several public available ones. I wrote some small test programs doing
    simple multithreading but they didn't trigger.

    So the simplest setup I found til now is the following:

    chris@blue:~$ java -version
    java version "1.4.1"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01, mixed mode)
    chris@blue:~$ JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xrunhprof:cpu=samples,file=crap.log,depth=3 jython
    Jython 2.1 on java1.4.1 (JIT: null)

    Now moving the mouse around in X will make the box lockup in less than
    10 seconds.

    I'm not sure if JAVA_OPTIONS is a standard jython feature but at least
    it's part of the jython-wrapper script of Debian.

    Christian Meder, email:

    The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized
    by rolling up your sleeves.

    (Eihei Dogen Zenji)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.023 / U:0.072 seconds]