SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm1-V0.7.28-1
On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 10:54 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Christian Meder <chris@onestepahead.de> wrote:
>
> > This just leaves me with the mysterious traceless jvm related crash.
> > I'll do my best to get a trace ;-)
>
> it would be equally useful to somehow reproduce the lockup with public
> software only, and post the precise steps how to reproduce it.

Hi Ingo,

after two evenings of experimenting this is the current status
(everything based on 0.7.29-0, will try 0.7.30-x during the day):

* the lockup can't be triggered from the console or using a remote
session and I really tried to torture the box ;-)
* the real trigger is mouse activity in X
* the other important factor is running the jvm in profiling mode,
running without jvm or with the jvm in non-profiling mode leaves the box
stable
* I couldn't yet figure out the pattern of java program which is
triggering. Not every java program is triggering but at least I found
several public available ones. I wrote some small test programs doing
simple multithreading but they didn't trigger.

So the simplest setup I found til now is the following:

chris@blue:~$ java -version
java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01, mixed mode)
chris@blue:~$ JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xrunhprof:cpu=samples,file=crap.log,depth=3 jython
Jython 2.1 on java1.4.1 (JIT: null)

Now moving the mouse around in X will make the box lockup in less than
10 seconds.

I'm not sure if JAVA_OPTIONS is a standard jython feature but at least
it's part of the jython-wrapper script of Debian.

Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: chris@onestepahead.de

The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized
by rolling up your sleeves.

(Eihei Dogen Zenji)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:1.492 / U:0.316 seconds]