    SubjectRe: Lazily add anonymous pages to LRU on v2.4? was Re: [2.4] heavy-load under swap space shortage
    On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 01:01:38PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

    > > > that's why I turned it _on_ by default in my tree ;)
    > >
    > > So maybe Marcelo should apply this patch, and also turn it on by default.
    >
    > I've been pondering this again for 2.4.29pre - the thing I'm not sure about
    > what negative effect will be caused by not adding anonymous pages to LRU
    > immediately on creation.
    >
    > The scanning algorithm will apply more pressure to pagecache pages initially
    > (which are on the LRU) - but that is _hopefully_ no problem because swap_out() will
    > kick-in soon moving anon pages to LRU soon as they are swap-allocated.
    >
    > I'm afraid that might be a significant problem for some workloads. No?
    >
    > Marc-Christian-Petersen claims it improves behaviour for him - how so Marc,
    > and what is your workload/hardware description?
    >
    > This is known to decrease contention on pagemap_lru_lock.
    >
    > Guys, doo you have any further thoughts on this?
    > I think I'll give it a shot on 2.4.29-pre?

    I think you mean the one liner patch that avoids the lru_cache_add
    during anonymous page allocation (you didn't quote it, and I can't see
    the start of the thread). I develoepd that patch for 2.4-aa and I'm
    using it for years, and it runs in all latest SLES8 kernels too, plus
    2.4-aa is the only kernel I'm sure can sustain certain extreme VM loads
    with heavy swapping of shmfs during heavy I/O. So you can apply it
    safely I think.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.024 / U:1.084 seconds]