    SubjectRe: 2.6.10-rc2-mm2

    On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 09:19:31PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > What about introducing io_remap_pfn_range while you're at it so we can
    > have a cross-plattform calling convention?

    That's a pretty serious issue and the one that actually compelled work
    to be done on remap_pfn_range(), though it was known to be an issue
    for other reasons sufficiently compelling for mainline inclusion in
    isolation. You might say that the "ulterior motive" on my part with
    remap_pfn_range() was to ultimately leverage it to help resolve the
    io_remap_page_range() issue though it directly benefits ia32 and ppc440.

    A bit of research is needed to deal with the six-argument variants for
    that effort that hasn't been wrapped up yet, and that's really the only
    thing holding back the io_remap_pfn_range() sweep to unify the 5 and 6
    argument conventions. I do have the hardware to test the 6 argument
    architectures, which should make testing easy once I dredge up the info.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.022 / U:59.392 seconds]