    SubjectRe: modprobe + request_module() deadlock
    Date
    Gerd Knorr wrote:

    >> Well, how about to add a new marker in the driver code such as
    >>
    >> MODULE_DEPENDS_ON("somemodule");
    >>
    >> so that depmod can pick it up?
    >
    > Wouldn't work for me as this isn't static. saa7134 has to look at the
    > hardware, then decide whenever it should load saa7134-empress,
    > saa7134-dvb or none of them.
    >
    > On the other hand I don't depend on request_module() waiting for the
    > modprobe being finished. So maybe we can solve that with a
    > request_module_async()?

    Unfortunately I am not an expert here, but wouldn't it be sufficient to
    export in sysfs the information needed to distinguish between those two
    saa7134-* modules, and then submit a new agent to linux-hotplug-devel? Then
    hotplug will take care of loading the correct module (and hotplug is always
    called asynchronously).

    --
    Alexander E. Patrakov