    SubjectRe: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview
    On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 11:42:39AM -0800, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > Note that I have posted two other approaches of dealing with the rss problem:
    > A. make_rss_atomic. The earlier releases contained that patch but then another
    > variable (such as anon_rss) was introduced that would have required additional
    > atomic operations. Atomic rss operations are also causing slowdowns on
    > machines with a high number of cpus due to memory contention.
    > B. remove_rss. Replace rss with a periodic scan over the vm to determine
    > rss and additional numbers. This was also discussed on linux-mm and linux-ia64.
    > The scans while displaying /proc data were undesirable.

    Can you run a comparison benchmark between atomic rss and anon_rss and
    the sloppy rss with the rss and anon_rss in seperate cachelines. I am not
    sure that it is important to seperate the two into seperate lines, just
    rss and anon_rss from the lock and sema.

    If I have the time over the weekend, I might try this myself. If not, can
    you give it a try.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:11.868 seconds]