    SubjectRe: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > Note that I have posted two other approaches of dealing with the rss problem:

    You could also make "rss" be a _signed_ integer per-thread.

    When unmapping a page, you decrement one of the threads that shares the mm
    (doesn't matter which - which is why the per-thread rss may go negative),
    and when mapping a page you increment it.

    Then, anybody who actually wants a global rss can just iterate over
    threads and add it all up. If you do it under the mmap_sem, it's stable,
    and if you do it outside the mmap_sem it's imprecise but stable in the
    long term (ie errors never _accumulate_, like the non-atomic case will

    Does anybody care enough? Maybe, maybe not. It certainly sounds a hell of
    a lot better than the periodic scan.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.017 / U:7.324 seconds]