SubjectRe: [ACPI] Re: 2.6.10-rc1-mm3: ACPI problem due to un-exported hotplug_path
On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:15:55PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 November 2004 07:08 pm, Greg KH wrote:

> > > This is not always the case. One might want to postpone ADD event
> > > until all summpelental object attributes are created. This way userspace
> > > is presented with object in consistent state.
> >
> > No, that's a mess. Let userspace wait for those attributes to show up
> > if they need to. That's what the "wait_for_sysfs" program bundled with
> > udev is for.
> >

> I strongly disagree:
>
> - it makes userspace being aware of implementation details (whe exactly it
> has to wait for, for how long, etc.) which is bad thing;
> - not all the world is udev - needless replication of the code and bugs;
> - not only making visible but announcing an object in non-working state
> to userspace simply does not feel right.

Based on the recent additions to the /sbin/hotplug environment
variables, userspace now knows exactly what it needs to wait for, if
anything.

Also, there's no needless replication of this code, that's why
wait_for_sysfs was split off of udev, it's for everyone to use, if they
want to.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.074 / U:0.456 seconds]