SubjectRe: 2.6.9: unkillable processes during heavy IO
I had similar hanging with mysql on 64bit_debian@A64 3500+ + mysql
4.1.5. 1GB memory.

After digging around I added "skip-concurrent-insert" to mysql conf and
those hangs disappeared.
It might be mysql problem (not kernel) on 64bit linux.

Although my mysql processess where killable with -9.