    SubjectRe: 2.6.9: unkillable processes during heavy IO
    I had similar hanging with mysql on 64bit_debian@A64 3500+ + mysql
    4.1.5. 1GB memory.

    After digging around I added "skip-concurrent-insert" to mysql conf and
    those hangs disappeared.
    It might be mysql problem (not kernel) on 64bit linux.

    Although my mysql processess where killable with -9.

    Lenar

    Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

    >We have two database servers which freeze up during heavy IO load. The
    >machines themselves are responsible, but the mysqld processes are forever
    >locked, unkillable with even kill -9. I can't restart with MySQL without
    >rebooting the machines.
    >
    >I can reasonable rule out hardware, since this is happening in the
    >same way on two identical machines.
    >
    >I'd like to know how I can debug this, to file a proper bug report.
    >
    >The hardware/software stack is:
    >
    > - Dual Opteron 246, SMP kernel, w/ NUMA
    > - 9 GB of memory (4GB in one zone, 5GB in the other)
    > - MySQL, running mostly InnoDB, but some MyISAM
    > - MegaRAID raid-10
    > - device mapper
    > - XFS (used as both O_DIRECT from InnoDB and regularly from MyISAM)
    >
    >At this point I'm going to try changing different variables on
    >different machines in order to try and isolate it, but it's a slow
    >process.
    >
    > - on raw partions, instead of device mapper
    > - ext3 instead of XFS
    > - not using O_DIRECT

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.039 / U:1.352 seconds]