    SubjectRe: insmod module-loading errors, Linux-2.6.9
    Date
    Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:52:18 EST, linux-os said:

    >>They simply should not have removed the "-f" option of
    >>insmod. It's just that simple. This option allowed transient
    >>(possible) incompatibilities so that one could be productive
    >>and not spend a whole day reinstalling from a distribution
    >>CD because the new modules wouldn't work because somebody
    >>decided that their special VERMAGIC_STRING was so ")@*&#$%)"
    >>important that they preempted my work. Don't get me started....
    >

    > Yes, instead you can spend a whole day reinstalling from a
    > distribution CD, and then restoring user files from backup,
    > because the new module you just 'insmod -f' had a different
    > number of parameters to some kernel call, and as a result your
    > stack got smashed and took the root filesystem with it....

    This is Linux, not MS-DOS, where the system works for the user and you
    shouldn't have to do nonsense like "do you really want to load the
    module?" I agree with Dick, you shouldn't have to recompile the whole
    kernel to fix a trivial change. If you shoot yourself in the foot it's
    your fault, taking away the the gun is the policy of another o/s I won't
    name.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)