    Subjectkthread realtime priorities and exporting sys_sched_setscheduler()
    From
    I'm trying to push XP[C|NET] out to the community. (For further details:
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ia64&m=109337050919186&w=2 )

    An objection was raised over the exporting and calling of
    sys_sched_setscheduler(), which XPC calls to make its kthreads
    run at realtime priorities. Without this change we found that it
    was possible for user processes to be given a higher effective
    priority than the kthreads used by XPC. The upshot of this was
    that the latencies incurred by XPC increased 300 times in the
    test example given. If XPC's kthreads were given realtime
    priorities this did not happen. (For further details:
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ia64&m=109337503100067&w=2 )

    Note that XPC uses kthreads because it is possible for them to block
    indefinitely.

    So if we are unable to export sys_sched_setscheduler() or setscheduler()
    what would you suggest we do to solve this particular problem?

    Thanks,
    Dean

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.019 / U:1.852 seconds]