Subject[OT] Re: code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]
Date
On Monday 01 November 2004 08:48, Diego Calleja wrote:

> Sadly it's true, but in the other hand I haven't seen something like
> gnome/kde which don't eats lots of resources (mac os x and XP are not
> better, beos was better they say)

Part of the problem with KDE is the QT library underneath it all. QT 4 is
supposed to be leaner and faster. The KDE folks seem to be trying pretty
hard to reduce bloat whenever possible. But when you have software that's
expected to have the kitchen sink, it's especially challenging to reduce the
footprint while keeping all of the functionality.

I use openbox on my laptop. It's nothing near KDE in terms of functionality,
but it also runs reasonably snappy on a Pentium 266, so I can't complain too
much.

So far I'm pretty glad that the linux kernel developers have resisted putting
graphics calls and routines into the kernel. It slows things down a bit, but
I'd like to think you guys have learned from MS's mistakes. IMO one of the
biggest mistakes they ever made was to pollute the NT kernel with the
graphics subsystem. That said, FBUI looks like an interesting add-on
project.

Enough of my off topic ranting...

--Russell

--

Russell Miller - rmiller@duskglow.com - Le Mars, IA
Duskglow Consulting - Helping companies just like you to succeed for ~ 10 yrs.