SubjectRe: Fchown on unix domain sockets?
>> >When I connect to it is the point. I want to set the permissions etc so
>> > that only the progams that are supposed to be talking to it talk to it.
>>
>> How about setting the permissions beforehand?
>
>We're talking about fchown not fchmod. Obviously you can set "umask" so that
>the appropriate permissions are on or off.

Whoops. Well, you said "permissions" in the topmost quoted thing.
Anyway, you could use ACLs to restrict connecting to a PF_UNIX
socket on a per user/group basis.

>I just thought it would be worth drawing attention to the fact that "fchown"
>silently does nothing and the whole thing is not documented anywhere (even on
>OSes which give an error code). It just seemed a gap worth plugging.

Now the message is clear. Glibc info pages maintained by
glibc-bugs@gnu.org (IIRC), man pages now maintained by (sorry forgot
the addr, but take a look on LKML archive for this day).

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft für Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 Göttingen, www.gwdg.de