    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 2.6 Real Time Kernel

    Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:
    > - Voluntary Preemption by Ingo Molnar
    > - IRQ thread patches by Scott Wood and Ingo Molnar
    > - BKL mutex patch by Ingo Molnar (with MV extensions)
    > - PMutex from Germany's Universitaet der Bundeswehr, Munich
    > - MontaVista mutex abstraction layer replacing spinlocks with mutexes

    To the best of my understanding, this still doesn't provide deterministic
    hard-real-time performance in Linux.

    > There are several micro-kernel solutions available, which achieve
    > the required performance, but there are two general concerns with
    > such solutions:
    > 1. Two separate kernel environments, creating more overall
    > system complexity and application design complexity.
    > 2. Legal controversy.

    It's been quite a while since any of this has been true.

    > In line with the above mentioned previous Kernel enhancements,
    > our work is designed to be transparent to existing applications
    > and drivers.

    I guess you haven't taken a look at the work on RTAI/fusion lately.
    Applications use the same Linux API, and get deterministic
    hard-real-time response times. It's really much less complicated
    to use than the above-suggested aggregate.

    Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
    Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits || || 1-866-677-4546

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.032 / U:31.156 seconds]