SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 2.6 Real Time Kernel

Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:
> - Voluntary Preemption by Ingo Molnar
> - IRQ thread patches by Scott Wood and Ingo Molnar
> - BKL mutex patch by Ingo Molnar (with MV extensions)
> - PMutex from Germany's Universitaet der Bundeswehr, Munich
> - MontaVista mutex abstraction layer replacing spinlocks with mutexes

To the best of my understanding, this still doesn't provide deterministic
hard-real-time performance in Linux.

> There are several micro-kernel solutions available, which achieve
> the required performance, but there are two general concerns with
> such solutions:
>
> 1. Two separate kernel environments, creating more overall
> system complexity and application design complexity.
> 2. Legal controversy.

It's been quite a while since any of this has been true.

> In line with the above mentioned previous Kernel enhancements,
> our work is designed to be transparent to existing applications
> and drivers.

I guess you haven't taken a look at the work on RTAI/fusion lately.
Applications use the same Linux API, and get deterministic
hard-real-time response times. It's really much less complicated
to use than the above-suggested aggregate.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits