SubjectRe: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 08 October 2004 03:15, Jon Masters wrote:

>>jmerkey@galt.devicelogics.com wrote:
>>
>>[ Would you please quite removing the attribution from mailing list
>>posts? I know you don't care to keep it in the kernel, but at least
>>let people know who said what in this completely pointless
>>thread... ]
>>
>>Jesper>>| There are other rewards than money.
>>
>>jcm>> Al summed it up quite well earlier. Jeff probably wants to get
>>the jcm>> lining on his tinfoil hat thickened to avoid the brain
>>lazers getting in
>>jcm>> any further. Check those bushes for Novell snipers too - you
>>never know
>>jcm>> when they'll pop out and come to get you, like everyone else
>>everywhere.
>>
>>*Strong medication*. Very strong. Now with added eucalyptus! It'll
>>make removing all that code easier. Ya know, you don't like cdrom
>>support in your kernel (and claim it corrupts memory on your SuSE
>>box...that's cute) but I've never much like memory management or
>>CPU support in my kernel. I say you rip out everything under
>>kernel/ and mm/ just in case. After all, Novell operatives might
>>have secretly corrupted it, eh? ;-).

>>I meant that too. Just think about it - with the number of
>>contributors in the kernel you'll have to offer a lot of money
>>before even a few of them start to hear cash register sounds in
>>their head. I expect it is graphable, but I've never actually that
>>eye-rolling-dollar-sign thing that happens in the various cartoons.
>>By the time it's diluted down, is the guy entitled to 0.05 cents
>>really going to be suddenly convinced that all this time he was
>>secretly after money but didn't realize it?
>>
>>| Not for a license to a single snapshot of a single 2.6.X or 2.4.X
>>| version.
>>
>>I'd argue that the kernel is entirely priceless. It's better than
>>that, more advanced, now extra-caffeinated with added pro-V
>>complex!
>>
>>| I agree this isn't about money.
>>
>>...oh but you think this pointless endeavour of yours will actually
>>get you somewhere other than in even more killfiles. I really
>>shouldn't feed the troll but it's oh so hard to resist. I mean, you
>>seem like a fun crazy sort of guy. So far I've seen:
>>
>>~ *). Intense bitterness at Novell.
>>~ *). Signs of paranoid delusion.
>>~ *). A fundamental missunderstanding of the GPL.
>>~ *). Various other random craziness.
>>
>>Tell me, Mr Jeff, of various mail domains (does that make you feel
>>bigger and better than the rest of us?) are you funded by Microsoft
>>to suggest this stuff or do you truly believe it? Really? Truly? I
>>mean, I'd much rather hear you're being paid to say this shite.
>>
>>| It's about control and using the GPL to control what happens.
>>
>>...by undermininging it and opening the floor to bribary. What would
>>those damn Novell snipers say about that?
>>
>>| The offer is for real.
>>
>>I doubt that greatly. Actually no, I don't. I believe there are
> [...]

A bit of a historical note is in order. Jeff used to work for Novell...
And had more than a small dispute with them over some linux code he did
that allowed linux to, as I recall, do things with netware 4.x. Novell
took exception as at the time the only other code that did it was closed
source distributed through Caldera.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.104 / U:0.464 seconds]