    SubjectRe: kswapd in tight loop 2.6.9-rc3-bk-recent
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    >This probably won't fix it.
    >
    >It looks like the code will lock up if all zones are out of unreclaimable
    >memory, but you won't be hitting that.

    Out of _reclaimable_ memory?

    It shouldn't if all_unreclaimable is being set correctly.

    >I also wonder if it'll lock up if just the first zone has ->all_unreclaimable.

    Well, not if the all_unreclaimable flag is set, but if it should be and
    isn't,
    then probably it will lock up.

    >I think a good starting point here will be to revert the most recent
    >change.

    That may fix it for the simple fact that kswapd will just go through its
    priority loop once then stop.

    I think that resetting all_unreclaimable in free_pages_bulk is the wrong
    idea though, because that will keep it clear if a bit of kernel memory is
    being pinned and freed in the background, won't it?

    I had a look and decided that all_unreclaimable should probably be cleared
    only if vmscan.c frees some memory - but I couldn't really come up with any
    hard numbers to back me up :P

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:1.012 seconds]