SubjectRe: kswapd in tight loop 2.6.9-rc3-bk-recent
Andrew Morton wrote:

>This probably won't fix it.
>
>It looks like the code will lock up if all zones are out of unreclaimable
>memory, but you won't be hitting that.

Out of _reclaimable_ memory?

It shouldn't if all_unreclaimable is being set correctly.

>I also wonder if it'll lock up if just the first zone has ->all_unreclaimable.

Well, not if the all_unreclaimable flag is set, but if it should be and
isn't,
then probably it will lock up.

>I think a good starting point here will be to revert the most recent
>change.

That may fix it for the simple fact that kswapd will just go through its
priority loop once then stop.

I think that resetting all_unreclaimable in free_pages_bulk is the wrong
idea though, because that will keep it clear if a bit of kernel memory is
being pinned and freed in the background, won't it?

I had a look and decided that all_unreclaimable should probably be cleared
only if vmscan.c frees some memory - but I couldn't really come up with any
hard numbers to back me up :P