    SubjectRe: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone
    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    > > If you want to spend god alone knows how many hours tracking down
    > > who wrote what and nuking the relevant bits, that's your time to throw
    > > away. If you want the same featureset a little faster however, I
    > > believe SCO are still selling Openserver licenses.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > We would spend the time or remove the code. OpenServer??? Gag?? Puke??
    > According to Carl "Mad Dog" McBride Linux is already his "product" (What a
    > joke). OpenServer is not Linux.
    >
    > If I receive a confirmation from A) Linus or B) Alan then we will profer
    > a license agreement for everyone to review and sign off on via PGP secure
    > email.

    I can't speak for anyone except myself, and I'm not in any way a big time
    kernel person, but personally I would prefer that what little code I've
    contributed stays GPL. It was GPL code I contributed to, I expect it to
    stay that way.

    > We will worry about who is no longer available. We need the core folks whose
    > names
    > appear as the original author in the master header of each file to sign off.
    > They will need to
    > certify which files are theirs and send a confirmation.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say you need more than just the core people. Even
    the core people don't own the copyright to contributions made by
    small-time contributers like myself. You could argue that very small
    contributions don't qualify for copyright protection and you'd probably be
    right, but where do you draw that line?

    > This can be done, and if there is a process in place, others can come and give
    > money as well.
    > It's time ALL YOU GUYS got rewarded for your hard work, and not just those who
    > positioned themselves to get fat stock options and IPO preffered stock for
    > .com stock market
    > Google style IPO scams. It can happen.

    There are other rewards than money.

    --