    SubjectRe: [Patch] new serial flow control
    Le jeu 07 oct 2004 à 21:27:22 +0100, Russell King a écrit:
    > I can't help but wonder whether moving some of the usual modem line
    > status change processing should also be moved into the higher levels.

    The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think it's not a good idea:
    that would require *every* line discipline to implement hardware flow
    control (just like xon/xoff), while I think they shouldn't really care
    about it.

    The asynchronous ppp ldisc for instance can be used on a serial line,
    but can very well be used on a ssh tunnel (in which case rts/cts flow
    control has no meaning).

    I can understand that xon/xoff processing be implemented in ldiscs
    since it is characters stuff, but one can't ask the ldisc to know
    details about hardware flow control which depends on the tty it is
    used on.

    Regards,
    Samuel Thibault

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:37.776 seconds]