SubjectRe: 2.6.9-rc3-mm3 fails to detect aic7xxx
Andrew Morton wrote:
> "K.R. Foley" <> wrote:
>>Dave Hansen wrote:
>>>I just booted 2.6.9-rc3-mm3 and got the good ol'
>>>VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
>>>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>>>Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>>backing out bk-scsi.patch seems to fix it. I believe this worked in
>>>-- Dave
>>While I can't verify that backing out bk-scsi.patch fixes it for me yet,
>>I can verify that I get the exact same error trying to boot this kernel.
>>I too am using the aic7xxx.
> Were some earlier messages printed out, during the scsi bringup stage?
> A full dmesg dump would be nice.

Yes it would. Unfortunately I am not near the machine right now. I do
know that there is not much info being displayed prior to the failure
message listed above and I don't have a serial console on this system
currently. I will be glad to try to dig into it further when I get home
in a few hours.