SubjectRe: [2.4] 0-order allocation failed
Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 08:28:04PM +0200, Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
>>
>>There is really no way to run 2.4 without swap?
>
> Nope. Any kernel can't. The thing is the system overcommits
> memory (it allows applications to allocate more memory than the system
> is able to handle).
>
> If there is no place to "save" that memory once you run out of it,
> you're dead. Its a physical problem. :)

Hm, shouldn't there be command line option to instruct kernel not to
overcommit memory? For servers that don't really need disk, and
wouldn't have much use for swap anyhow (like firewalls for example). I
do vaugly remember of such option in OSF/1 (Compaq Unix or whatever it
is called nowdays) or Solaris. Not sure which one. Or maybe both. If
I remember correctly, there the default was not to overcommit, and (not
recommended) option would allow kernel to overcommit. Or I might be
wrong about the default setting, but the option was there. I don't
remember if application that tried to allocate more memory that there
was free on the system would be killed or if system call would simply fail.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@pbl.ca> Pollard Banknote Limited
Systems Administrator 1499 Buffalo Place