SubjectRe: Probable module bug in linux-2.6.5-1.358
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Since you want to play fast and loose with the GPL and modules
> licensing, I see no reason to help you debug your problem.
>
> If you can reproduce the same problem with some GPL version of
> standalone (even dummy) code, then come back and see us sometime.

Well it isn't my problem. It's a kernel problem that only exists
in 2.6.n kernels. Versions 2.4.x work fine. And what are you
bitching for? You have the entire source-code.

Further, it exists in a dummy driver that impliments a dummy
open(), close(), and ioctl().

Once a character-device module is installed, then removed. If
you attempt to open() the module again, instead of the kernel
reloading it, it crashes. The last thing executed is
sys_open(). It should have stopped at chrdev_open(), but
the code is broken.

> --------------
> /*
> * Since some in the Linux-kernel development group want to play
> * lawyer, and require that a GPL License exist for every kernel
> * module, I provide the following:
> *
> * Everything in this file (only) is released under the so-called
> * GNU Public License, incorporated herein by reference.
> *
> * Now, we just link this with any proprietary code and everybody
> * but the lawyers are happy.
> */
> #ifndef __KERNEL__
> #define __KERNEL__
> #endif
> #ifndef MODULE
> #define MODULE
> #endif
> #include <linux/module.h>
> #if defined(MODULE_LICENSE)
> MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
> #endif

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.5-1.358-noreg on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.096 / U:0.620 seconds]