    SubjectRe: ESP corruption bug - what CPUs are affected? (patch att
    On  6 Oct 04 at 20:18, Stas Sergeev wrote:
    > Yes, if not for that anonymous guy, who kept posting
    > to me until he finally convinced me that the Ring-0
    > approach is not that difficult at all.
    > So I tried... It was much more difficult to code
    > up, but at the end it looks a little better
    > and localized to entry.S completely. OTOH it
    > touches the exception handlers, but not too much -
    > it adds only 5 insns on the fast path. And the
    > code is very fragile, but after I made all the
    > magic numbers a #define consts, it actually looks
    > not so bad.
    > I don't know which patch is really better, so
    > I am attaching both.

    CPL0 solution is certainly more localized, but I have hard problems
    to convice myself that it is actually safe.

    I would appreciate if you could add comments what values are set
    by ESPFIX_SWITCH_16 + 8 + 4 and simillar moves, and what they actually
    do. And convicing myself that ESPFIX_SWITCH_32 has just right value so

    pushl %eax
    pushl %es
    lss ESPFIX_SWITCH_32,%esp
    popl %es
    popl %eax

    actually works took almost an hour...
    Petr

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:36.132 seconds]