SubjectConverting kernel modules from 2.4 to 2.6/Suggested new driver
Hello.

Does anyone know if there is a detailed guide on how to convert kernel
modules for 2.4 kernels to modules for 2.6 kernels? I know very little
about kernel module programming and haven't done any programming for a
long time, although I do have a programming background, and I have
drivers for HSF modems and Riptide sound cards that I want to convert
from 2.4 modules to 2.6 modules, which shouldn't be too hard. But I'll
need a detailed guide to do it.

Or since I've never done any kernel programming, I have a better idea.
I want to recommend the drivers for inclusion into the official kernel
tree. The drivers were released open-source by Linuxant or the
manufacturer, I don't remember which one for sure. But they're not
being developed any further, and the Riptide sound card driver only
supports OSS, and doesn't support ALSA. Also, there are things in the
drivers that need fixing that surely a lot of you can do much better
than me. I can help test the revised modules and I know how to put them
in the kernel tree, so I can do those parts. But many of you can do the
programming better than I can.

I can't afford new hardware right now, and I had to search the net for
hours and maybe even days just to find these drivers, and almost gave up
hope of being able to use GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I wouldn't want
others to have to go through that or settle for mediocre drivers. If
there are any takers out there, just send me an E-mail and I'll send you
the drivers so you can hack away. But at the very least I'd like to
know where I can find a detailed guild on how to convert kernel modules
from 2.4 to 2.6.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.057 / U:1.080 seconds]