    SubjectRe: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc3-mm1-S9
    From
    Ingo wrote:

    > i've released the -S9 VP patch:
    > http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc3-mm2-S9

    Me again, we bad humor :(

    My SMP/HT box is (again) terribly in that uglyness of being quite
    unfriendly to -mm1, -mm2, and indirectly to -S8 and -S9 labeled kernels.

    It works quite well with vanilla 2.6.9-rc3, though.

    But very, very bad with those -mm1 or -mm2 patches. To get it straight,
    almost all the time it hangs, randomly, but not as completely as to a
    dramatic cold-reboot. It stalls on the the most administrative tasks. Name
    one, and it stalls! I can hardly feel lucky if it sometimes reaches the
    login prompt, while boot/initing.

    I know you remember this story. Yeah. This seems quite similar to some of
    earlier problems, but (un/fortunately) it doesn't seem related to VP at
    all. Just having -mm1 or -mm2 is enough to make this machine go astray.

    However, as usual, this seems to be ix86 SMP/HT specific. On my laptop, I
    get to run full 2.6.9-rc3-mm2-S9 UP very happily.

    Sorry if I can't get any real or useful debug data for now. The bad
    behavior I'm referring to, is terribly non-deterministic, so I couldn't
    get a pattern yet.

    I just wanted to let you know ;)

    Sorry for the bandwidth waste,

    Cheers,