SubjectRe: libata badness
Great. I'll give that a shot after I drive checker utility finishes.

However it seems like the kernel shouldn't be oopsing, panicking, or
double faulting if the drive is questionable. It apparently blew away my
root fs last time. A peripheral drive failure shouldn't cause such
destruction across the system, no?