    SubjectRe: libata badness

    > What kind of sata drives? It's not quite the same end result, but there
    > have been several posts on linux-raid about defective Maxtor sata drives
    > causing system freezes. If your drives are Maxtor, download their
    > powermax utility and test your drives. You may find that you have one or
    > more marginal drives that appear to work most of the time, but powermax
    > will determine are bad. Replacing one like that fixed my problems.

    Ah, well all of them are Maxtor drives... One 6y250m0 and three 7y250m0
    drives. I'm using powermax on them right now. They all passed the quick
    test, and the full test results are forthcoming.

    Actually, I was backing up the array (cp from the array - 2 of 3 drives
    running - to a normal drive) when I read your response. Shortly
    thereafter, during the cp (perhaps after copying 100GB-120GB), I got a
    double fault. I've never gotten a double fault before, but I'm guessing
    it's quite a serious error. It totally locked up the machine, and it
    outputted two lines each with a double fault message, followed by a
    register dump.

    The saga continues...

    Will

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:4.626 / U:0.000 seconds]