SubjectRe: net: generic netdev_ioaddr
Hi,

Pekka Enberg <penberg@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:

> Cops already exposes base address and irq as module parameters and yet
> it calls netdev_boot_setup_check() to check "netdev=" so I assume
> there's a reason for that. Perhaps something like the (untested) patch
> below would make more sense?

IMHO partially: base_addr etc should go from the core (to driver's
local structs if needed). I think no general netdev-setup thing is
needed, we have module parameters and library functions.

No ioctl for such things is needed either.
/sbin/ifconfig shouldn't mess with hardware data such as I/O address,
IRQ etc. - it should be a configuration tool for software protocols,
not for hardware (i.e. as /sbin/ip is).

My opinion of course.
--
Krzysztof Halasa