    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] usbnet.c: remove an unused function
    On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 04:17:30PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
    > On Thursday 28 October 2004 17:28, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > [ this time without the problems due to a digital signature... ]
    > >
    > > The patch below removes an unused function from drivers/usb/net/usbnet.c
    >
    > Actually in this case I'd rather leave the function there;
    > the documentation on this chip is hard to find, and this
    > function will be needed when someone finally spends the time
    > to fix some of the init/reset handshake issues for these
    > PL2301/2302 chips. The current init code cloned some
    > very ancient code from about the 2.2.10 (!) or so kernel.

    OK.

    > - Dave
    >
    > p.s. Last I looked, GCC ignored unused inlines; no code
    > generated, no warnings. Did that change?

    It didn't change.

    But there are three different possible reactions on my patches:
    1. ACK, kill this dead code
    2. ups, I really wanted to use this function
    3. please keep, code using this function will/might follow in the future

    Case 1 is the most common case (and this simply removes some dead code).

    I had until now two times case 2 (which means the code is now better).

    You are the first person for case 3.

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.